Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mothers in the waiting room... unite!

Since Rybolt was running a fever last week during his six month check up, he needed to go back to the doctor today to get his shots. I went into the doctor's office and signed in. I was armed with books, snacks, and the other usual things that two years of waiting in a doctor's offices had conditioned me to do. I noticed that there was a mom next to me with two very small babies in a double stroller. She was feeding one and the other was awake looking up at the ceiling tile. The nurse behind the check-in counter called her name. She took the feeding child with her and approached the desk. "I'm sorry Mrs. but the doctor can't see you. You will have to reschedule and come back again. Let's see, this was for the six week well visit. I think we can get you something tomorrow." Now, the waiting room is small and usually filled with screaming children. But today, everyone was quiet and I felt like I had a first row seat at a play. A look of impending doom engulfed the mom's face. She stood there, child in hand and began speaking. (I don't think she was even speaking to the nurse at this point. I think she was just trying to digest what was just said.) She began with, "You can't do this. I really thought the appointment was at 10. I had it written down for 10. I arranged child care for my toddler. I just can't. You can't make me load them up in the car again and come back tomorrow. I'll wait as long as it takes. There must be someone who can see my children. There are several doctors in the practice. Please. Please. Don't make me come back." I looked over at the stroller and noticed that the mom didn't have any help. She had brought the children herself. The nurse was cold and said, "If it were one well check up we might be able to fit you in, but TWO. We are booked solid today. If you hadn't been an hour late. You should have called us if you were running late." The mom interupted, "I really thought it was at 10. I would have called if I was running late." She was pleading her case to the court. The nurse just stared at her, holding the infant's two files in her hand. It happened right then. Every mom in that waiting room began to speak up. "She can take my appointment. I'm here for Dr. Jones at 10:30. We can come back tomorrow." Another mom agreed. "We're here for Dr. Smith. It is only the 9 month well visit, no shots. We'll reschedule." Every mom in that waiting room was now standing and approaching the nurse at the check-in desk. I felt like I was in a scene from the movie Rudy, where all of the football players were tossing in their jersey's for the final game so that a fellow team mate could play. The nurse was annoyed, but defeated. She was no match for a room full of appointment books whipped out at the ready. She got up and went off only to return a few minutes later. "Mrs, " she said to the mom of twins, "The nurse practitioner will see you in a few minutes." I could have cried. What mom hasn't needed a break at some point? Someone who says, "You know, it is OK. Don't sweat it. We'll help." That mom needed a break. It is hard enough with one, but two infants? That was us today. We said, "You know, it is OK. Don't sweat it. We'll help."