Friday, June 27, 2008

Goin' to Czechoslovakia is just fruitin' around

One Christmas at my grandparent's home, after the gifts were all opened and the supper was settled in our stomachs, my Grandfather got serious. He does this from time to time, and it usually involves a lesson that he has learned from his years. The six of us grandchildren sat, attention at the ready, for his words of wisdom. I had just finished college (a semester ahead of schedule) and had two part-time jobs for the remainder of the school year. My sister was at Yale, finishing her Master of Fine Arts. My younger brother was going to be studying in the Czech republic through his school's study abroad program. We were all in good places and staying out of trouble.
"Your Grandmother and I are getting older," he started out, "and we have really enjoyed spending time with you over the years." I relaxed a bit, and settled into my chair. It might take awhile for him to get to his point.
"Now, you all are grown and it is time for you to stop fruitin' around. Five thousand dollars to the first one of you that gives us a great grandchild."
The jaws of my grandmother, aunt, uncle, and parents simultaneously dropped. Apparently, this was news to them also. Only one of the six of us was dating anyone, and that was far from an engagement. My brother, ever the keeper of justice, replied, "Grandad, I'm the youngest grandchild. Don't I get some extra time to be fair?"
"Goin' to Czechoslovakia is just fruitin' around," he said in an authoritative tone.
My grandmother, still a bit dazed perked up, "Hey, can I get in on this?"
That was ten years ago.
Over the past month, my Grandparents have welcomed three more healthy babies into their lives. Last night, my grandmother was visiting her most recent great grandchild. She was counting her great grandchildren:

Wilhelmenia Jane Schutz
Abbott Taylor Schutz
Baikal Gibson Miller
Corbin Thomas Driggers
Rybolt Baier Miller
Palmer Simpson Driggers
Madeleine Helms Garvin
Eva Carter Schutz

"A total of eight great grandchildren," she said.
My grandfather said with a smile on his face,"That's just eight today. These babies are coming fast. Who knows how many there will be tomorrow."