Saturday, June 14, 2008

First summer reading book finished

What a great way to spend a nice rainy morning, by finishing up the first book on my summer reading list. Now, I am sure that most of you are about as interested in my summer reading list reviews as you would be a root canal, but by putting it out on the blog-o-sphere I am trying to keep myself focused on finishing. So, for those of you who are still reading, C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" has been on my list ever since my friend, Ginny, asked me to read it. Actually, that is not true. It should have been on my list way before that since we covered it in my four year Education for Ministry class at All Saints and also when my sister, Courtney, told me that C.S. Lewis's writings have had a great influence on her. So it was really long over due. The book is actually a transcript of talks that he gave on a radio program. The series of talks were to provide an argument for Christianity. This show was recorded during WW2 while he was studying at Oxford in England. I liked the book. There were several times that I would be reading and find a real gem. One of those, "oh exactly..." moments. I really liked his chapters on marriage and charity. I would not say that I agreed with him on the whole, but I do believe that this is a great book to get you thinking about your core beliefs. I would put it as a great read for a sunday school or book club. In his chapter on forgiveness, I couldn't help but to think of Wiesenthal's book "The Sunflower." Which is a sad, but good read. So, what is next? Another book that I should have read during my EFM but did not: "Moral Man and Immoral Society" by Reinhold Niebuhr.