Tuesday, November 27, 2007

List for one year olds

I have been pretty slack about my "lists for moms" suggestions over the past year. The main reason for this is that once baby starts walking, all bets are off. However, with the upcoming holiday season I find myself wondering, "What will make a good gift for Baikal now that she is 2?" Searching the internet and hounding my friends for recommendations, I decided to post what Baikal really played with over the past year. Hopefully, this list will be helpful for any of you looking to get a gift for a child from the 1-2 year range.

1. Stackable cups - I really like these from The First Years because you can teach colors and numbers with them (they are numbered on the bottom)
2. Wood Blocks
3. Ball toys - Baikal has really enjoyed this toy
4. Musical instruments
5. Board books - Heavy on the pictures, light on the text
6. Water/sand table - We used this everyday in the summer, until the state declared a ban on outdoor watering
7. Bubbles - Not all bubbles are created equal. Believe me, this bubble kit is worth the cost! These are the BEST bubbles, hands down.
8. DVD player - If you are looking for a high dollar item and you don't mind turning your kid into a zombie on long car rides, this has really saved Matt and I on several occasions. Get one that has a long battery so that you can use it in a car or plane.
9. Car seat - Around the first birthday, most babies have grown out of their car seat, but still need to be rear-facing. Our pediatrician recommended the Britax Marathon, which is a behemoth. It has been great, but pricey.
10. A red wagon - Always a classic.