Friday, August 01, 2008

Toilet training: a retrospective

So, I am blogging this for both parents who will be toilet training soon and for myself so that I remember how I did this the first time. Those of you who fall in neither category will probably want to stop reading now.

There were two weeks were we had nothing going on (and I mean not even leaving the house) and this was the time I picked to train Baikal. I used a book called Toilet Training in Less than a day , which was recommended to me by my mom, who used it to teach me. I purchased the Baby Bijorn toilets and placed one on each floor of the house. These potties are expensive, but I had talked to a mom in doing my research and she said they worked for boys and girls and worked great. If purchasing more than one potty get them all the same color/style. Trust me, some times they form attachments to just one of the potties. I also purchased a travel potty that I keep in the car for times when we are going to a park or a long car ride. Upon recommendation we went from diapers all the time to diapers only at naps and bedtime, since Baikal was still not at the age where she was controlling her bladder at night (28 months). No pullups. Just cotton underwear.
You might also remember that I had some leftover eggs from easter that I filled with various treats. When she successfully went to the potty she would get an egg.
The book we used recommended using a doll that wets to teach. My parents had given that to Baikal for her Christmas present, so I also had that.

I would say that at first she was really interested in the whole process, especially getting the egg. Thankfully, she was very neat and orderly throughout the whole process. What can I say, the girl loves routine. She had very little accidents because she was usually nude and within a few steps of a potty at all times. Once we started heading out of the house, things became a bit tricky. I tried to make her sit on the potty as soon as we got to our destination and right before we were leaving. Instead of giving her an egg after a successful toilet use, I transitioned to doing "dry pants" checks. These were random checks where I would ask her if she had dry pants and if the answer was yes, then she would get an egg. She no longer gets eggs now and doesn't seem to mind.

Matt and I agreed that we would not use discipline or negative reinforcements for accidents. Baikal has accidents usually when she is in a new place or is really into something. During these times, I try to remember to ask her to use the potty, but sometimes I forget too. I feel like if she has an accident it is usually both of our faults. I carry extra pants, underwear, and socks in the car and sometimes in my diaper bag. I have been warned by other moms that accidents can happen well into the elementary school years.

So there it is. Potty training is a big deal to parents and kids. It is the transition from a baby to a child. Sometimes I look at Rybolt and can't believe that Baikal was that small, that she once crawled around on the floor and needed me to do everything for her. Potty training her is a major step towards her independence and her separation from me. This is a good thing. That doesn't mean it is easy.