Thursday, December 22, 2005

Shoulders of giants

Sir Isaac Newton gave an acceptance speech once that stated that if he had seen further in his research than others, it is only because he had been standing on the shoulders of giants before him. I love this quote. Although Newton was talking about intellectual support, I find it to be true that in many circumstances I am able to do my best because of the support and love that I receive from others. I was so fortunate to have such a great support team throughout my labor. They stayed throughout the nights, they skipped meals, and they put my emotional and physical needs before their own. I love them and am humbled by the love that they showed me.


Matt was such a wonderful husband. He made sure that I ate and drank early in the labor stage to keep me from getting dehydrated. He helped monitor my contractions and coached me through my breathing. He told me that I was doing a great job. He got Baikal once I was allowed back in the hospital room and we all spent our first night together as a family.


Courtney was invaluable. When I was at the hardest part of labor, it was her that I wanted by my side. One of the nurses asked her if she was a professional doula and was shocked when she said that she wasn't.


Mom was with me during the surgery and two nights at the hospital. She helped make the transition into being a mom an easy one with her wisdom. She also welcomed Baikal into the world while I was recovering from surgery.