Monday, November 27, 2006

List for new moms 6 months to before walking

It has been a while since I put out any product reviews and with the holidays approaching and several of my friends expecting I thought I would add to their lists.
Once Baikal started crawling her world got bigger and my recommended toy list got smaller. The reason? Anything and everything is a toy now. Toilet paper rolls, pots, cell phones, she sees them all as a toy. Some things I have let slide, but others get a firm "no" when she approaches them. Sure she pitches a bit of a fit now and then, but you've gotta start sometime. Here is my list for things that are helpful to know from the 6 months to before walking stage.

Robeez shoes- These are the only shoes that stay on Baikal's feet. There are similar brands out there, but these worked for her. She still has not grown out of her 0-6 month ones.

Dresses- Yes they are cute, but until walking, NOT practical. Better to have pants instead.

Playpen, walker, exersaucer, etc.- You need something to contain baby once they get moving.

Carseat- Our Graco Snugride had a limit of 20 lbs and 27 inches. Baikal outgrew the length before hitting the weight. So we had to buy a new carseat that is still rear-facing since she is not 1 year. We got the mother of all caseats, Britax Marathon. It is a behemoth. So far it has been OK. It just takes up a LOT of space.

Stroller- Once babies can sit up and look around a stroller is the way to go. No more travel systems needed. We have the Peg Perego Aria stroller. It is a good stroller, but I recommend getting the kidapottamus shade extender.

Diner covers/grocery cart covers- I don't use them because I have enough stuff that I am lugging around. I just try to give them a good wipedown and hope for the best.

Diaper bags-I just got a new diaper bag that I LOVE. It is made by Skip Hop and I give it two thumbs way up. I busted my first diaper bag from carrying so much stuff. This one has really held up. Way to go!

Restaurants- I found a WONDERFUL place to take Baikal when it is just the two of us. The Picadilly! I am sure K&W and Morrisons are also good. The pros? Overcooked veggies are soft enough for baby to eat and escape proof high chairs. Now this is fine dining!